Thursday, October 23, 2014

Chamomile tea and Honey cake

 I love the afternoon tea, actually I love every moment that we can spend it slowly ^^. Because most of the time I put my life in a hectic stage, haha.
Not that I like to be busy, but there are too many things I want to do and I can't have enough time to do it. I think I need to slow down. I love to drink tea, black tea is my favourite, green tea and herbal tea are great too. Sometimes I mix the herbal tea with black tea to crate my own favoured tea and the most often is Chamomile. The fragrance of Chamomile makes me feel relax so I think that it will be great to be in the cake too ^^. So I can sip a cup of tea and eat the cake slowly.
This cake is very easy to make, starting by steeping the Chamomile tea with boiling water (the temperature is about 98C), it will release the mild fragrance of the Chamomile and let it cool.
I use shortening for this cake as I don't want the smell of butter and it gives cake better texture than using oil, as you know I use non-hydrogenated shortening so it's good to my health, hehe.
You can eat the cake on its own without the frosting, but for me a bit of indulgence is great ^^.

Chamomile tea and Honey cake
Makes 5 mini loaves 

Chamomile tea
17g ................................... Chamomile tea (you can use chamomile tea bag too)
250ml ............................... Boiling water

Cake
60ml ................................ Chamomile tea (A)
130g ................................. Honey 
45g ................................... Light brown sugar
65g ................................... Shortening (I use non-hydrogenated shortening)
1 ........................................ Egg
1tsp ................................... Vanilla extract
150g .................................. All purpose flour
1/2tsp ............................... Baking powder
1/4tsp ............................... Baking soda
30ml ................................ Chamomile tea (B)

Frosting
160g .................................. Cream cheese (don't use spreadable)
35g .................................... Icing sugar
20g ................................... Shortening  (I use non-hydrogenated shortening)
.......................................... Pinch of salt
20ml ................................. Chamomile tea

I use this Shortening  (non-hydrogenated shortening).


 Key ingredient: Chamomile or camomile
 Put Chamomile into the cup, pour the boiling water into the cup, let it steep for 7 minutes.
Pass the tea through a sieve press lightly.
Let the Chamomile tea cool before using.


 Preheat an oven to 160C
Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda together, set aside.
Put shortening, honey and sugar into a bowl.
 Beat until combine, and pour the vanilla extract into the bowl, beat to combine.
 Put the egg into the bowl and beat until combine.
 Pour half of the flour mixture into the bowl, fold to combine.
 Pour the Chamomile tea (A) into the bowl, fold to combine.
 Pour the rest of the flour mixture into the bowl.
 Fold to combine.
Put the batter into the mini loaf pan (I use paper mini loaf pans).
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick insert into the center of the cake come out clean.

 Remove from the oven and pour the Chamomile tea (B) into each cake (about 1tsp per cake).
Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack.
Make the frosting by beat all the ingredients until smooth.
Frost the cake before serving.

Chamomile tea and Honey cake

2 comments:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...